Middle Fork American River: Tunnel Chute
Come with us on a 18 mile spectacular whitewater rafting trip down the scenic Middle Fork of the American River. We’ll smash through thrilling Class IV plus rapids like Tunnel Chute, Kanaka Falls, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and more!
What to Expect on Your Tunnel Chute Rafting Adventure
We’ll meet up behind the Raley’s supermarket in Auburn at 8.30am sharp and start by getting all the waivers signed. Then we’ll jump on the bus and drive you to the launch area at Oxbow Reservoir (about 45 minutes). When we arrive, we’ll set you up with your helmet, paddle and personal flotation device. The head guide will deliver a short safety briefing to the whole group before we assign a guide for each raft.
Next, your group will carry the raft down to the water. Once on board your guide will conduct a quick in-water orientation and give some tips on paddling technique and rafting teamwork. Then we’ll be ready to hit the rapids!
Prepare Yourself for the Famous Tunnel Chute!
Once we set off, all boats will stay together as we head downriver. Our first challenge is going to be Morning Glory. Don’t worry – your guide will prepare you before you get there. Next you’ll be heading towards Last Chance. Make sure you hang on tight!
We’ll keep heading downriver and hitting more splashy rapids along the way in preparation for the famous Tunnel Chute! Again your guide will prepare you to conquer this rapid. Remember to smile for the camera!
Some Delicious Lunch and Then Back to the Action
Our Sierra Whitewater cook will prepare delicious chicken or turkey and a variety of salads. All our food is fresh, local and homemade! Ice cold drinks will also be provided. Finish it up with a freshly baked brownie to give you some energy for the next section of rafting.
After lunch we’ll jump back in the rafts and head off to Ruck-a-Chucky Falls. We’ll keep cruising down the river and experiencing more exciting rapids. Just make sure you remember to smile when you get to Chunder!
Finally we’ll arrive at Ruck-a-Chucky campground around 3:30 to 4pm. We hope you enjoyed your American River rafting experience with Sierra Whitewater.
Good to Know
- Start times are based on dam releases that provide sufficient water for rafting so don’t be late! Let us know ASAP if you’re at ANY risk of being late!
- Overnight camping is available at Camp Lotus with hot showers, flush toilets, fire pits and barbecues as well as a camp store and deli. Contact us for more information.
- Let us know in advance if you’ve booked separately from your friends but want to be together.
- We recommend bringing additional cool weather clothing in April, May, September & October.
- Photographers are a separate entity and cannot be guaranteed.
- If you have a request for a specific guide, let us know in advance and we’ll do our best to organize it.
- Strict age requirement of 12 years+. If any of your party is less than 90lbs, get in touch in advance and let us know.
This was my second time rafting with Sierra Whitewater and it was just as great as the first time!
Jeridith L., Lindenhurst, New York
Derek and his team emphasized safety and fun and there wasn't a single moment where we didn't feel both safe and happy....
Lety R., Davis, Calif.
This has been one of the BEST experiences EVER. The staff was great, super friendly...